Salem in Ballwin UMC will host a bluegrass concert on Saturday, May 12, 2018.
- The event will be held in the sanctuary.
- Doors will open at 6:30 p.m.
- The concert will start at 7:00 p.m. and end at approximately 10:00 p.m.
- There will be an intermission at approximately 8:15 p.m.
- Suggested donation for adults is $5.00. Children are free.
- No advance tickets are available or required. Entrance is on a first-come, first-served basis. Seating is on a general admission basis. Limited seating is available for those who use wheelchairs or walkers.
George Portz will emcee the event.
- George has won over 300 fiddle contest trophies, including 130 first-place trophies. He was the youngest state champion in the United States, and he went on to win the national championship trophy. He is a member of the Fiddler’s Hall of Fame. George has performed with some of the top bluegrass groups, including in Bill Monroe’s band at the Smithsonian Festival. He has performed at the White House and the Grand Ole Opry.
- George and his band, the Friends of Bluegrass, will perform during the bluegrass concert at Salem in Ballwin UMC. Members of this group have won numerous awards. Dave Montgomery, the lead guitarist, has won both Illinois and Missouri State Flat-Pick Guitar Championships. Zack Hardesty, the banjo player, has won the Illinois State Fair banjo championship for the past three consecutive years. Kathie Pohlman, the bass player, won the “Best Rhythm Player” award at the Midwest Regional Championships. David Dalton, the lead singer, has also won many awards, both as a bluegrass singer and as a country singer. The Friends of Bluegrass are considered to be one of the premier acoustic groups in the Missouri-Illinois region.
- George will also have several other groups and individuals perform during this concert. Those individuals and groups will be named once George has confirmed the lineup.
This should be a GREAT show. There aren’t many opportunities to see this type of performance in this area, especially one that features such an award-winning group of performers.